Sunday 28 November 2010

Listomania


Time for those end of year lists! I was thinking about doing a countdown of my top albums of the year, I wrote them all out on paper, cut them up and moved them around a bit. I failed basically. I can't decide on any kind of order, just my favourite and some others I really like, in no particular order.

SO to kick off the 'Albums the I like in 2010' I shall start with an act I saw last week, the mercury nominated (the one I was hoping won none the less) album from local gal, Laura Marling.


I Speak Because I Can

It is, in my opinion, the greatest folk album this year. Even though she's still doing the same things she has been doing to the previous album and e.p, there's something big about it. Honest raw lyrics about what can only be described as emotions that no one has the courage to talk about. She still gives the impression that she is wise beyond her years, the album being very relationship based. The songs on the album touch on such matters as heartbreak, loss, memory's of childhood, wanting to better ones life.

It's great to hear this shy, quiet and modest girl continue to write beautiful, intelligent music, expressing her thoughts and sharing her feeling. Her live performance summing this up really, visibly nervous talking to the crowd about her recent work with Jack White, constantly losing her train of thought. But when she starts singing, she closes her eyes and lets it all go.

If i had to post one song off the album, i couldn't. So here's a few, the first one pretty appropriate for this time of yeah...


It's actually a fairly old song of hers, like Blackberry stone. It's a shame it didn't make the Christmas chart last year.
If I had to choose a song to inspire the sale of the album, it would be between three. The title song, 'I speak because i can', the most accessible single off the album 'Darkness Descends' and the below track, the stand out single 'Rambling Man'.


I can't wait for next year, she's got a lot going on at the moment. I'm looking forward to hearing the Neil Young covers she spoke about (the needle + the damage done). Great album and a great year for her...

No comments:

Post a Comment